Friday, July 24, 2009

Update from Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam - Motorbike madness


July 20 to July 25, 2009: It's Saturday here in Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam. If Detroit is Motor City, then this is Motorbike City. Little motorbikes, mostly cheaper Chinese made ones, outnumber cars by at least 10 to 1. With the way they weave in and out of cars and each other in seeming chaos, I am amazed that I did not witness any accidents. That's a good thing, as you often see these little bikes with 3 or 4 family members, including little children on them. Anyway, it has been a whirlwind week of travel and factory visits - something like 7 cities in 6 days in 2 countries. I won't go into many details about my trip here, except to say it has been extremely hot and humid everywhere (record heat in Shanghai), I got to see part of the solar eclipse, I have visited many factories that we are either dealing with already or about to deal with, I haven't slept much, and I have had some very good Chinese food on this trip but I am ready to take a break from it.

Tesfaye this week - These are are few of the highlight that I have heard of regarding Tesfaye's week:
- Generally I have many reports that he has had a great appetite and is eating well. It seems he has discovered and developed a fondness for Nando's.
- He has been feeling so good there are some days that he doesn't take any of his medication.
- The night of the fireworks he went for Ethiopian food to Fassil restaurant with Brandon and Stephanie, and then to my parents' house for a safe view of the fireworks. He was very excited to see fireworks, as he had never seen them before.
- He has been practicing some newly learned computer skills and regularly works on his English grammar books.
- Erica Leyland very kindly took Tesfaye on an outing to the Aquarium and he emailed me that it was amazing.

Well, I am now catching a 6 am flight from Vietnam to Vancouver via Hong Kong and I am very much looking forward to seeing the whole extended family. Cheers!
-

No comments: