Thursday, July 16, 2009

Getting Out and a Taste of Home (Ethiopia)

Sunday July 12, 2009: I had a morning golf game scheduled with Brandon and his father Jean, so we arranged to meet up for brunch at the Club after our game with Nanci, Tesfaye, Stephanie and Randi. Tesfaye and I reflected back to the first and last time we had lunch at the Richmond Country Club on May 24th, before his surgery, and how after lunch I gave him his first introduction to golf by having him putting on the practice green (he was surprisingly good at it by the way).

Later, as reliable as ever, Lemlem called to see if it would be OK to come over to visit Tesfaye this afternoon. Lemlem is a young Ethiopian woman, a student at UBC, who heard Tesfaye's story on Melaku's Sunday morning radio show on May 24th. Tesfaye and I subsequently met Lemlem when we were invited by Melaku to come to an Ethiopian community barbeque in Burnaby one Saturday before the surgery. Lemlem took my phone number at the barbeque and from that point on, out of a genuine concern and sincere interest, would regularly call me to ask how Tesfaye was doing all the way through the surgery and recovery process. Lemlem herself is dealing with health issues resulting from a serious car accident she was in. Today Lemlem wanted to see Tesfaye but wasn't sure if she should, as this morning when she listened to Melaku's radio show and he gave his regular update on Tesfaye, he said that with his weakened voice Tesfaye wasn't ready for visitors yet. I asked Lemlem where she was right now and she told me that she had bussed from her apartment at UBC to an Ethiopian restaurant in the Commercial Drive area in order to bring Tesfaye an Ethiopian meal of injera and lamb - how considerate! I told her that of course she can come, and as she was already on a bus heading in our direction I said I would be happy to pick her up at a bus stop near us. Tesfaye was happy to see Lemlem and really enjoyed the meal of injera. Typically, Lemlem brought a get well card for Tesfaye and a thank you card for us. After a nice visit I offered to drive Lemlem back to UBC and asked if Tesfaye wanted to come for the ride and then drop in to see my parents. Tesfaye was up for it and so that is what we did. I was very happy that my parents had an opportunity to see how good Tesfaye looks after the successful surgery. They were truly impressed and happy for Tesfaye, and we had a wide ranging discussion about many things, including touching on his life story again and talking a little about what his future may hold.

By the way, it seems that with each day his voice is gaining a bit more strength.

No comments: