Friday, June 19, 2009

Day 6 Recovery - Turning the Corner?




Thursday, June 18th, 10:30am: When I arrived to see Tesfaye, I was glad to see Lise there and she brought me up to date on his current status. In summary, his fever was a little better and he was managing lately with less of a breathing boost from the machine; he needs to get his bowels moving. Dr. Marcel Dvorak is now back from being away the last few days and I was happy to be able to chat with him on the phone. He saw Tesfaye this morning and feels that in spite of the infection Tesfaye is not doing too badly and is hopeful that with the current treatment regime he can be weaned again from the breathing tube by the end of the weekend. If not, there are other alternative approaches to consider, but we will cross that bridge if we get there. Nurse Mary is the one assigned to Tesfaye's care for the day shift, and it also happens to be the first day on the job for recent nursing graduate Chivon (sp?). Tesfaye was in decent spirits, and communicated through pencil and paper a few things, including a desire to see the physio therapist. I couldn't stay too long as I had to get to the office to prepare for a number of meetings that would preclude me from returning to see Tesfaye until after 8:30 pm.

8:45 pm June 18th: Milestones After four long hours of meetings relating to some of my non-profit activities, I was looking forward to seeing Tesfaye again. Earlier Nanci told me that she had a delightful one and a half hour session with Tesfaye, during which, amongst other things, they together watched some of the musical "High School Reunion" which got Tesfaye tapping his fingers to the music. Jim and Haley also dropped in a couple of hours before me, but he had just been sedated in order to put a baloon into his chest to measure some of his diaphragm function. However when I was there he was quite awake and looked pretty good, and definitely felt cooler to the touch. Nurse Louise is on duty tonight, with Nurse Sarah, a Brit, on duty with the adjacent bed, lending an assist where required. The good news I heard was that his bowels had started operating, and the great news that I heard was that he had stood and taken some 10 steps earlier in the day with the physiotherapist. Oh how I wish I had been able to witness that milestone event myself! I know that there will be many more opportunities, in fact a lifetime of opportunities, to see that and more.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Sounds like Tesfaye is making great progress! I hope that his pneumonia clears up and the tube will come out very soon.

Stephanie S. said...

daaad you forgot to mention an important detail! mom and i watched High School Musical with him!