Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 10 of Recovery - Reason for Optimism

Monday June 22, 10:00 am: Today is a noteworthy day for a couple of reasons -it is my daughter Stephanie's 22nd birthday, and this is the day the doctor's determine if Tesfaye is showing signs of soon getting off of the ventilator or whether other options need to be implemented yet. When I get to Tesfaye's bedside I don't know if it is my imagination, but he seems a little down in spirit this morning. I know that the breathing tube removal and phsyio are foremost on Tesfaye's mind, so I am anxious to find out the plan in this regard. Nurse Patty and Respiratory Therapist Deirdre advise me that the equipment settings and medication have remained status quo.

At that moment I am happy to see a familiar face, surgeon Dr. Marcel Dvorak, coming to look into Tesfaye's current status. I discuss with Marcel my concern that Tesfaye seems a little down and that they have increased the amount of breathing that the ventilator is doing; Marcel then tracked down Dr. George Isac, who is in charge of Tesfaye's case in ICU at this time. Dr. Isac has been away and so was just getting up to speed on the case, but based on what he sees he is fairly confident that they can wean Tesfaye off the ventilator with in two or three days. He decides they should start increasing the amount of breathing generated by Tesfaye and adjusting the medication so that he is able to be more awake. This is encouraging for me, and we communicate to Tesfaye that we are doing things to try and extubate in the next couple of days. Marcel also wanted Tesfaye's position adjusted to become flatter, and indicated that he should be taken out of bed to sit in a chair two or three times a day. In anticipation of that they give him a dose of pain medication through his tubing but he proceeds to have a vomiting episode shortly after that. It is difficult to watch him go through that while he has a breathing tube down his throat, but he manages to remove most of it by way of his suction tube.

In the meantime I am running late for a meeting and so I reschedule it for later in the week. I made it for my lunch appointment with Mark, the gentleman who came to my house on May 21st to meet Dr. Rick Hodes while he was here and who was so taken with Rick's story that in very short order he arranged a presentation by Rick the next day at Vancouver College (see my post discussing Day 2 of Tesfaye's first 23 days in Vancouver). Mark's sincere interest in helping find support for Rick's humanitarian work in Ethiopia most welcome, and we discuss a number of ideas in that regard over lunch.

6:15 pm, June 22, 2009: Late afternoon I got a call from Lise saying that she had seen Tesfaye and felt that he seemed down, the same impression that I had earlier in the morning. I told her that I was planning on coming back to see Tesfaye around 6 pm with Melaku, and she wants us to explain things to him in Amharic that would make him feel better. Lise was happy to hear that Melaku was coming and she would make sure to stay and give Tesfaye some words of encouragement translated into Amharic. We met her there around 6:15; my daughter Haley and Jim were already there in the midst of trying to amuse Tesfaye.

Jim and Haley brought him some books and a Rubiks cube, which will either occupy him for a long time or drive him crazy. With Melaku translating Lise explained to Tesfaye that what he is going through is normal, that the doctors think he is improving, and that they hope to be able to remove the tube in the next couple of days. He understood and did not have any questions. Tesfaye looked tired and so we left, hoping that tomorrow may be the day for extubation.

No comments: